ramblings of my mind

Friday, February 03, 2006

i was talking to sanj and somehow got on the topic of my coworker, who i know goes to the same church as her. so i ask her if she knows him, to which she says there's two people with that name at grx and that she knows one of them and gabe knows the other.

so i ask my coworker, (yes, we im each other even though our cubes look directly into each others.) and his response:

[10:57] peter: yeah there are
[10:57] peter: one is korean and smart (mit)
[10:57] me: what are you then?
[10:57] peter: one is chinese and dumb (davis)
[10:57] peter: but i do sports ministry
[10:57] peter: so i'm the athletic one
[10:57] peter: haha
[10:58] peter: he leads a redwood city small group
[10:59] me: so one's the small group leader and smart
[10:59] me: and one's the sports ministry and dumb
[10:59] me: nice
[10:59] me: love it
[10:59] me: love the stereotypes
[10:59] peter: yup
[10:59] peter: korean vs. chinese

awesome. way to propagate the stereotypes. not sure what the "korean vs. chinese" is supposed to mean though. does he mean koreans are supposed to be smarter?! i think not.

by the way, peter is taiwanese. he's one of those taiwanese who says he's chinese. apparently, his parents don't lecture him about being taiwanese like my parents do.

**
i was checking my medical claims online to make sure everything was okay. and this is what i discovered:

1) currently, my insurance denied my third MRI. crap. i hope that gets fixed. i don't know why it was denied. the forms online and the hard copies that my insurance company mails me are so disorganized, that they're impossible to decipher. i sure know i'm not going to pay that $2k, so it'd better get cleared up and fixed.
2) my physical therapist charged my insurance for a session that i paid for in full. (because i thought i had used up my 20 sessions. did i miscount somehow? good thing i have all my receipts.) they got paid by my insurance, so i want my money back. all claims after that by them were denied. and why the heck is my pt clinic trying to claim from my insurance when i paid for those sessions in full?
3) i have a freakish amount of medical claims. They show 16 claims per page online, and i have 4 pages. all from last year.
4) i really don't like our medical insurance. my company used to use united healthcare and for some reason, a few years ago, switched to great west (yeah, who?). they claim great west is better, but we know they basically went for the lowest bidder. great west has been the hugest pain to deal with - thank goodness for our HR who helps mediate because their customer service is completely incompetent. and i'm not the only one with problems, lots of my coworkers have had problems too.

but in the grand scheme of things, i shouldn't complain. i have health insurance, period. that is already a blessing. i always live in my own little bubble of a world, and then God has to pull me out of it and put things in perspective for me. it's like the Tim Keller sermon that my small group listened to on forgiving grace. we have trouble forgiving the people around us for the smallest of things - and often, though we claim we forgive them, our attitude around them (ie snapping at them, acting colder towards them, etc) really shows that we haven't. yet we've been forgiven of all our sins by Christ. always and forever. so how can we go around, forgiven of all wrongdoings we've done, yet not forgive others? Keller referenced the parable about the unmerciful servant, and i was sitting there, thinking to myself "i'm totally not that person. i never hold grudges, it's just built into my personality. i don't need a lesson on forgiveness." boy, was i wrong. wow. how's that for some perspective.

ok, if you can't tell, i'm totally just typing whatever comes to mind. not sure how i ended up on this topic from an IM conversation about two guys with the same name. haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home